Friday, May 29, 2009

Strength...





This is a picture of my youngest nephew Greyson. It was taken 2 weeks before he died of Krabbes disease in December. I look at pictures like this daily to give me strength to continue helping with the fight in Austin for Greyson's Law. When we started this push in Austin 4months ago Greyson's Law was only a dream and a prayer! As of last week we had made it thru both the House of Representative and the Senate and we were beginning to breath a sign of relief knowing that Greyson would be helping protect Texas newborns thru "his" bill on newborn screening!



On Wednesday evening Greyson's Law went back thru the Senate for the final passage (checks and balances) before going to Governor Perry's desk to be singed into law. During the time HB 1795 was brought back to the floor it picked up three amendments. One of which was a last effort to save a piece of legislation on the CHIPS program. Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against health insurance for children... I mean I am a nurse. But now Greyson's Law has been thrown in the middle of a hot button issue in Texas. Gov Perry has said he will veto the Senate version of the CHIPS legislation and now it's attached to our bill.




Lots of media sources are talking about the CHIPS program being saved by newborn screening bill, blah, blah. Newborn screening bill...it has a name, Greyson's Law...it will save ten babies a month in the state of Texas from detectable diseases. Greyson's Law will also take Texas from the fifth lowest state in the nation for the number of diseases it screens newborns for and bring it to the middle at a total of 48 disease.




Grey's bill has been hyjacked! I am looking at lot of pictures of Grey today. How can these people continue to play politics with our babies and steal the law that was made to honor Greyson?






2 comments:

Larissa said...

I can't stand political games!! Don't worry I think we will pull through yet!

ruth said...

Adrienne, I know that you are always very sweet and calm and pleasant, but do you just feel like screaming?!? I HATE POLITICS! These guys make me SICK! phew. I am not giving up hope. This is going to work out!!

Post a Comment