Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm not getting a shot today, am I Mommie?


I can not even begin to tell you how much this question makes me sick to my stomach. Because she was and boy do they hurt...it is so much vaccine to go into that little thigh!


Natalie asked me this question over and over again for 30 minutes this morning. She kept asking me with a smile and telling me to tell her that she wasn't...I didn't want to lie to her and I couldn't tell her until it was time because I knew she would break into tears. When we got to the doctor's office she asked every one of the office staff members if they were going to give her a shot. She also kept reassuring herself by saying I already got a shot this week, so I don't have to get one today...but Sophie can! By the time I told her I was ready to break into tears. Boy, that girl has got a set of lungs on her!


The really sad part is that I can't seem to help her understand that she has to get the vaccines because if she gets rabies the doctor can't fix it. Maybe before 9 mos ago when Greyson died I wouldn't have been so panicked about the risk of her becoming ill and dieing, but now, I know that babies in my family can get ill and die- Not just in other people's family. So maybe in a few years she finally get it...but for now I am the Mommie who can't comfort her by telling her "no you aren't getting a shot today!"


Three more shots to go...I wish she was young enough to be clueless. I used to feel so bad when she was a infant getting vaccines...but now I realize it is way worse when they are old enough to know what's coming.


Gee, we are really blessed that she is a healthy kiddo that doesn't have to have medical procedures with needles and everything else. Thank God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment